Bush Mann's Dev App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bush von Mann

Apr 12, 2022
In-game name: Bush von Mann / Man von Bush / Von "Bush" Mann
Steam ID: steamcommunity.com/id/bushvonmann
For how long have you played on our servers?: A long time? I don't know where to check
What country are you from?: England
Time Zone: GMT+2
Do you have a mic?: Y

Is this your first application for Developer? If not, link previous ones: First

Have you received any bans?: Yes
LTARP (recent storms in the Netherlands cut our wifi)
MRDM (misunderstanding on my part, I 100% deserved this)

How confident are you with GLua? (Rate yourself 1-10 using rating guide): 5-6

Do you have any experience with Git?: Yes, however only for downloading exploits so I can study them

Do you have previous experience as a Developer for GMod?: Not for servers, however I do work on my own.

How many hours can you commit to developing per week?: 4-8 hours (I do most of my work during school hours)

Why do you want to be a Developer? What can you help us with?: I can help with a lot. I can fix bugs, do tasks no one can be bothered to do, script SCP's for the server, anything you want me to (that is within my ability), and if I can't do it at that time then I will learn and get the job done :)

I don't use TS so feel free to contact me through my Discord (Comrade#9999) if you want to chat
Here is a showcase of my favourite SCP projects.

SCP-1123 (I --'ed out some of my code, however I corrected that later on in the showcase)

SCP-1499

Bush von Mann

Apr 12, 2022
STEAM ID: STEAM_0:0:175303910
Sorry about that ;(

also looking back on it now I would probably rate myself more of a 3-4 than a 5-6 :/

Last edited:

Bush von Mann

Apr 12, 2022
Sorry*, I just realized that the questions "Why do you want to be a Developer?" and "What can you help us with?" are mixed. Heres a late response.

Why do you want to be a Developer?:
I want to be a dev, specifically for SCP-RP, as I have found so many things that annoy me, and other players agree. I can provide those easy quality-of-life changes that could really help the players, for example the disguise and code text overlapping on your hud, which (even thought the suggestion was approved) has* still not been touched.
I also want to dev here as CivilGamers SCP-RP is a server I feel very passionately about, and this is my way of giving back to the community (as cheesy as it sounds :> ).

I also want to use this as a sort of learning experience, taking inspiration from the pros and looking at how they script their work. I've also seen Cloak complain a lot about his workload, and not having enough devs at work, so I want to help with that and release some of the tedius pressure off their shoulders so they can focus on the more important changes.

Last edited:

Lord_Fr3ze

Senior Developer
Senior Developer
Mapping Team
Content Team
Jan 3, 2022
Based on your shown attitude on the SCP-RP Discord, I personally don't think you are fit as a developer. Developers play a major role in not just developing the server, but also representing it, now imagine if you join the server as a new player, join the discord and see a Developer speak in a very profane manner, I don't think that would leave a good impression on the new player.

Hydro

Civil Gamers Expert
Dec 19, 2020
I'd also like to add my two cents as this is a programmer application and I happen to be quite familiar with this.

I mean this in the most kind and genuine way possible, but I think you might have overestimated your abilities here, and some of the things you've said seems like a bit of a stretch.

Take for instance the fact that you said you know git, using Git to download exploits to "study" them firstly and foremostly does not demonstrate knowledge of Git, and secondly why are you downloading exploits anyway, what do you hope to study from them? The question specifically asks whether you have experience with Git, downloading things from GitHub and using Git are two very different things. I assume this means the correct answer to that question is a simple "no".

With regards to the two videos that you linked, the first video is unavailable and the addon in the second video seems very basic considering the fact that you're claiming to have a 5 or 6 in GLua. Realistically, to create an addon that would teleport you somewhere, store your old position and velocity, and return you when you left click again would probably take a developer perhaps 10 lines of code. The left-click to drop is also an additional three lines of code.

Do you have any other addons that you can share with us to demonstrate your programming capabilities, if I was going to purely judge your ability to write GLua on the 1-10 scale documented in the application format on the addons you've provided alone, I'd probably say it's maybe a 2 or a 3. My justification for this would be that you've demonstrated the ability to understand basic lua syntax, but that you've not really used any hooks/graphics/networking/player input aside from the simple PrimaryFire and SecondaryFire methods that are part of the entity framework.

Also, there are some other inconsistencies like your timezone being GMT+2 whilst being in England (I don't think that's a thing?).

I just want to clarify that I really don't mean any of this disrespectfully, it's just that if you were to get a developer position on one of our servers with only the experience you've demonstrated here, you'd be totally overwhelmed and it wouldn't be fair on you.

I'm happy to be proven wrong on all this though, if you have any complex addons that you've made that you'd like to show us then please make a video of them, and if possible upload them to GitHub. If you wanted to join the development team then you would have to learn how to use Git to push items to GitHub anyway.

I wish you all the best with your application, but if my observations are correct then as long as you continue to improve with GLua, learn how to use GitHub and improve on your attitude as Lord_Fr3ze pointed out above then I think you'd stand a real chance at being accepted in future applications.

Good luck!

Bush von Mann

Apr 12, 2022
I'd also like to add my two cents as this is a programmer application and I happen to be quite familiar with this.

I mean this in the most kind and genuine way possible, but I think you might have overestimated your abilities here, and some of the things you've said seems like a bit of a stretch.

Take for instance the fact that you said you know git, using Git to download exploits to "study" them firstly and foremostly does not demonstrate knowledge of Git, and secondly why are you downloading exploits anyway, what do you hope to study from them? The question specifically asks whether you have experience with Git, downloading things from GitHub and using Git are two very different things. I assume this means the correct answer to that question is a simple "no".

With regards to the two videos that you linked, the first video is unavailable and the addon in the second video seems very basic considering the fact that you're claiming to have a 5 or 6 in GLua. Realistically, to create an addon that would teleport you somewhere, store your old position and velocity, and return you when you left click again would probably take a developer perhaps 10 lines of code. The left-click to drop is also an additional three lines of code.

Do you have any other addons that you can share with us to demonstrate your programming capabilities, if I was going to purely judge your ability to write GLua on the 1-10 scale documented in the application format on the addons you've provided alone, I'd probably say it's maybe a 2 or a 3. My justification for this would be that you've demonstrated the ability to understand basic lua syntax, but that you've not really used any hooks/graphics/networking/player input aside from the simple PrimaryFire and SecondaryFire methods that are part of the entity framework.

Also, there are some other inconsistencies like your timezone being GMT+2 whilst being in England (I don't think that's a thing?).

I just want to clarify that I really don't mean any of this disrespectfully, it's just that if you were to get a developer position on one of our servers with only the experience you've demonstrated here, you'd be totally overwhelmed and it wouldn't be fair on you.

I'm happy to be proven wrong on all this though, if you have any complex addons that you've made that you'd like to show us then please make a video of them, and if possible upload them to GitHub. If you wanted to join the development team then you would have to learn how to use Git to push items to GitHub anyway.

I wish you all the best with your application, but if my observations are correct then as long as you continue to improve with GLua, learn how to use GitHub and improve on your attitude as Lord_Fr3ze pointed out above then I think you'd stand a real chance at being accepted in future applications.

Good luck!
I appreciate your response so much, it means a lot. I just study exploits so I can see what they manipulate and how to stop that from happening to any of my scripts.
(Btw this isn't an argument, I just wanted to answer some of your replies, but I completely respect your final decision.)

Sorry to hear that my first video didn't show up for you, however it was pretty much the same level as my other one with some extra network messages and other basic stuff.

I saw other applications and saw what they posted and realized what the application format actually meant, in reality I would rate myself a 3-4, and hope to one day improve my skills to become a 5 in your books.

I will take your criticisms to the heart and further better myself at GLua. I hope to one day be on your team Hydro!

[ i dont live in england btw, im just from there :^) ]

Last edited:

Hydro

Civil Gamers Expert
Dec 19, 2020
I appreciate your response so much, it means a lot. I just study exploits so I can see what they manipulate and how to stop that from happening to any of my scripts.
(Btw this isn't an argument, I just wanted to answer some of your replies, but I completely respect your final decision.)

Sorry to hear that my first video didn't show up for you, however it was pretty much the same level as my other one with some extra network messages and other basic stuff.

I saw other applications and saw what they posted and realized what the application format actually meant, in reality I would rate myself a 3-4, and hope to one day improve my skills to become a 5 in your books.

I will take your criticisms to the heart and further better myself at GLua. I hope to one day be on your team Hydro!

[ i dont live in england btw, im just from there : ) ]
Thanks for the quick reply. Everything you said there makes sense, I wasn't aware that you'd used net messages, and upon review there was some kind of fade when you teleported which does increase the complexity somewhat. With all that in mind a 3-4 makes sense.

Thank you for clarifying the timezone thing by the way, was just a little thing that I didn't notice. Perhaps the format needs changing because that's kinda weird.

I'm glad you took it in the spirit that it was intended, I didn't want to come across as harsh or over-the-top. I look forwards to seeing your future works, and still wish you all the best of luck with your application.

Cloak

Civil Gamers Expert
Jan 14, 2021
Hey, sorry for not handling this application. Based on the age of the application and the feedback you received I will be closing it, if you ever decide to re-apply with more experience, feel free to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.