[CC] A Newbie's Guide to Civil City

Minishogun721

Dec 25, 2020
US Central
So, you wanna know how to succeed on the server? Hi, my name's Minishogun and I am writing this guide so that newer players can learn how to succeed and more importantly, have fun on the server.

Section 1: The Basics

This version of Evocity is a big place. Luckily for you, there is an interactive map that you can use. There's the downtown area, the police department, the industrial area and small industrial area, the residential area, the high-end car dealership area, the mines, the highway. and the hills. Focus on downtown and industrial, this is where the majority of action and bases will be happening. However, you can stick with lower population areas. Next up: Be friendly. It will take you a very long way. Want to get into big gangs? Be friendly and fun to play with. Want the community as a whole to respect and enjoy your presence? Refer to the prior. Last up, don't take it too seriously. This is Garry's Mod, a game from 2004, not your job or something that will define your entire life. Have fun, make some good memories, the rest is less relevant.

Section 2: How do I make money?

The golden question. Here's a tip: Don't spend money on stupid or overpriced shit this early on. Focus on being in the green, i.e. being worth more than you spent. This will save you millions. Also, make sure to loot dumpsters. Even at level 74 and multi-million dollar cars I still do it. First up: don't immediately go to money printers, it will put you in the red. Instead, focus on career jobs like Truck Driver, Trashman, Postman, and Bus Driver. The other career jobs focus on roleplay. For example, Genetic Researcher won't make you much money but you can start a zombie apocalypse with it. Right, Trashman will be your best bet. Stick with the job until you earn approximately $250,000. Next, you're going to want somewhere to base. Make sure to read the base rules, and get an admin to approve it. Usually they will go easy on you for a "failbase" if you're new, especially if you were seeking approval. Buy printers. They can be purchased from the HL2 rebel NPC with the "VShop" text above their head. Immediately buy high quality cooling. Your printers will explode without it. Note that during the morning hours and weekends there is a 10% boost that stacks for money printers and experience. You will be printing cash from now until, well, forever. It's a reliable and proven moneymaking method. Next up: the mythical VCMiners. Don't use these until you have about $7,000,000. Yes, they're expensive, about $2,000,000. But they make what they're worth. It takes about 6 hours on their own to profit from themselves, and are best used when started in the morning. Never vcmine at late hours close to server reset (6:00 AM GMT) or your bedtime as you will make little to no profit. I would get into the setup and vcminer software, but by that point look at the other tutorials. Note that the setup seems daunting, but is actually really simple. Now onto the others: Bitminers are so ineffective that they literally might not be able to profit from server reset to server reset. Next, weed is good very early on but are tedious to keep replanting seeds. Next, the chemist jobs are profitable but take a decent amount of time for little profit.

Section 3: Combat

Early on, try to stay away from combat. You don't have enough health or armor to stand up to other more experienced players. Also, the guns you can afford at this point are very weak compared to firearms that other players acquired. The only exception to this rule is the Glock P80, your trusty sidekick at this early point. Now, before I talk about what guns to get your hands on, lets talk combat philosophy and doctrine. There is a time that it takes to draw your weapon, 1.5 for police and 2 for citizens. During this time, you should either be in cover or actively dodging bullets. For a crude example, just fuckin spam movement and jump buttons. Alright, next up: the only time you should aim down the sight is during mid to long range encounters. The crosshair can be misleading, as your bullets tend to go right towards the middle, It's not guaranteed, but it's the rule of thumb. Go in game and try it, you'll see what I mean. Next, always, ALWAYS go for headshots. You should never go for bodyshots, regardless of the weapon. The critical hit multiplayer is massive, like Rainbow Six or Counter Strike. Next up, positioning. Before you start an encounter or you get thrown into one, have an idea of your surroundings and what cover there is. Bullets WILL penetrate thin materials and most props. That's about it. Now, weapon selection. The Glock P80 is your best friend early on, it will shred in close quarters. For some better ordinance, the AK12. They're much, much more expensive than the Glock but they're more effective and the choice of most players once they can afford them. Next up, the SPAS-12. It is an absolute monster in close quarters, but has a slow reload and very short range. headshots. The snipers are critical pieces of kit, whether it be the STAC Aggressor or Barrett M82A1. The Barrett is the better choice, but costs 3 times an already expensive gun. Generally, just ask other players what good guns are. Especially higher level ones, they have experience and will tell you what to go with, maybe even let you try them.

Section 4: Experience

Want more health and armor? Look no further. Experience can be granted by many things, but the most important are the Contracts. Look for an Alyx NPC near the downtown spawn area. Depending on your favorite class, you're going to want to spec into a certain tree. I might make a new guide for police, but this entire guide was written for misc and criminal trees. First, go into the scoreboard, and click "Skills." If you like to base on your own and mind your own business, stay in the misc tree. If you raid others or commit crime or are generally a no-good ruffian, spec into criminal. My personal favorite is criminal, it focuses on combat and more fun things. However: you can raid as a misc class, usually. Check the job rules. First off: never finish contracts outside of early bird. Get the progress on them, but don't finish them until the early bird. You will gain much more experience. Next, go with the "contract collector" for weekly contracts. It's the most reliable and easiest to finish out of all of them. Most importantly, it can be finished during the weekend, where you can get almost 52,000 experience from completion. While some players look down on "contract grinding," I personally recommend that you chase after every single one you can get.

Fuck me, I've written essays that are shorter than this post. Either way, I hope it helps you get used to the server. Comments on improving the post will be appreciated. Remember: Have fun, make memories, everything else is secondary.