Dear fellow UK'ers what do you name this piece of bread?

BrynjolfR

Civil Gamers Expert
Jan 2, 2021
LET THE GREAT BREAD DEBATE BEGIN

bap_141944836.jpg
1_Bacon-Butty.jpg

Valkon

Senior Game Master
Senior Game Master
Donator
Dec 25, 2020
Are you trying to cause anarchy?

It's a barm, barm cake is also acceptable but I don't really agree w/ it.

Bun is a universally agreed name

Bap is questionable but acceptable

Teacake, Batch, Bara, muffin and bread roll can get in the bin.

There's a test as to whether it's acceptable - put a common sandwich food as a prefix to the selected name, if it sounds right - you're golden.

Chip barm - BEAUTIFUL, runs off the tongue.
Chip barmcake - Almost as good, not quite.
Chip Bap - makes me physically sick to say, but it's ear candy
Chip Bun - meh

Chip butty reigns supreme imo.

Chip teacake? Just killed my firstborn by saying this out loud.
Chip batch? More like chip bitch. Gtfo.
Chip bara? What? Chip barrister? Why's some potato representing me at court?
Chip muffin? Self explanatory really, if you say this you belong 3 ft under a soggy ditch.
Chip bread roll? Too long, if you say this unironically then you probably vote tory and have a sibling in Eton.

Hydro

Civil Gamers Expert
Dec 19, 2020
Its a teacake, anybody who says otherwise is wrong.

RE what you said above valk, it's called a chip butty. You don't suffix it with the name of the bread it's in.

• Angry
Reactions: Valkon

Arron 'Spectre' Shepard

Head Moderator
Head Moderator
SCP-RP Staff
Content Team
Donator
May 8, 2022
Are you trying to cause anarchy?

It's a barm, barm cake is also acceptable but I don't really agree w/ it.

Bun is a universally agreed name

Bap is questionable but acceptable

Teacake, Batch, Bara, muffin and bread roll can get in the bin.

There's a test as to whether it's acceptable - put a common sandwich food as a prefix to the selected name, if it sounds right - you're golden.

Chip barm - BEAUTIFUL, runs off the tongue.
Chip barmcake - Almost as good, not quite.
Chip Bap - makes me physically sick to say, but it's ear candy
Chip Bun - meh

Chip butty reigns supreme imo.

Chip teacake? Just killed my firstborn by saying this out loud.
Chip batch? More like chip bitch. Gtfo.
Chip bara? What? Chip barrister? Why's some potato representing me at court?
Chip muffin? Self explanatory really, if you say this you belong 3 ft under a soggy ditch.
Chip bread roll? Too long, if you say this unironically then you probably vote tory and have a sibling in Eton.
Somewhat accurate however I would like to address the nuance of naming the bread as pictured. The texture of the bread is important to distinguish. Is it soft and chewy or is it more 'bun' like? What is the radius of the bread? All of these are critical factors in choosing how to address the bread most accurately. Teacake for example is an acceptable name for a smaller bread of a bun like texture however a bap is often larger and more chewy in texture.

Jack G

MRP War Criminal
Donator
Feb 19, 2021
Interesting. As a fellow bread enthusiast I would like to enlighten you on my thoughts.

Bread is a staple food prepared from a dough of flour and water, usually by baking. Throughout recorded history it has been popular around the world and is one of the oldest artificial foods, having been of importance since the dawn of agriculture .Bread may be leavened by naturally occurring microbes (e.g. sourdough), chemicals (e.g. baking soda), industrially produced yeast, or high-pressure aeration, which creates the gas bubbles that fluff up bread. In many countries, commercial bread often contains additives to improve flavor, texture, color, shelf life, nutrition, and ease of production.
Bread is one of the oldest prepared foods. Evidence from 30,000 years ago in Europe and Australia revealed starch residue on rocks used for pounding plants.[1][2] It is possible that during this time, starch extract from the roots of plants, such as cattails and ferns, was spread on a flat rock, placed over a fire and cooked into a primitive form of flatbread. The world's oldest evidence of bread-making has been found in a 14,500-year-old Natufian site in Jordan's northeastern desert.[3][4] Around 10,000 BC, with the dawn of the Neolithic age and the spread of agriculture, grains became the mainstay of making bread. Yeast spores are ubiquitous, including on the surface of cereal grains, so any dough left to rest leavens naturally.[5]

An early leavened bread was baked as early as 6000 BC by the Sumerians, who may have passed on their knowledge to the Egyptians around 3000 BC. The Egyptians refined the process and started adding yeast to the flour. The Sumerians were already using ash to supplement the dough as it was baked.[6]

There were multiple sources of leavening available for early bread. Airborne yeasts could be harnessed by leaving uncooked dough exposed to air for some time before cooking. Pliny the Elder reported that the Gauls and Iberians used the foam skimmed from beer, called barm, to produce "a lighter kind of bread than other peoples" such as barm cake. Parts of the ancient world that drank wine instead of beer used a paste composed of grape juice and flour that was allowed to begin fermenting, or wheat bran steeped in wine, as a source for yeast. The most common source of leavening was to retain a piece of dough from the previous day to use as a form of sourdough starter, as Pliny also reported.[7][8]

The ancient Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans all considered the degree of refinement in the bakery arts as a sign of civilization.[6]

The Chorleywood bread process was developed in 1961; it uses the intense mechanical working of dough to dramatically reduce the fermentation period and the time taken to produce a loaf. The process, whose high-energy mixing allows for the use of grain with a lower protein content, is now widely used around the world in large factories. As a result, bread can be produced very quickly and at low costs to the manufacturer and the consumer. However, there has been some criticism of the effect on nutritional value.[9][10][11]

Bottom one's a bacon sane and top one's a bun ya fuckin tossers. None of this barm shite or teacake shite. It's a fuckin bun. As someone that works in a chippy, you come into the shop sayin' anything like these:
Chip barm
Chip barmcake
Chip Bap
Chip Bun
Chip teacake
Chip batch
Chip bara
Chip muffin
Chip bread roll

and you're not getting served. It's a chip butty that's it.

Valkon

Senior Game Master
Senior Game Master
Donator
Dec 25, 2020
Somewhat accurate however I would like to address the nuance of naming the bread as pictured. The texture of the bread is important to distinguish. Is it soft and chewy or is it more 'bun' like? What is the radius of the bread? All of these are critical factors in choosing how to address the bread most accurately. Teacake for example is an acceptable name for a smaller bread of a bun like texture however a bap is often larger and more chewy in texture.
Okay I somewhat agree with this, but that's a little misleading, like a 'muffin' and a 'barm' are two entirely different things, one being what you get on a maces sausage and egg McMuffin, the other being what you'd normally get at a chippy.

Also depends what it's being used for, if it's for a burger then it'll be a bun, butty tends to be the more common one, but butty encompasses basically anything put in between bread. So whilst it'd be a 'chip butty' it'd still be a chips in a barm.

Valkon

Senior Game Master
Senior Game Master
Donator
Dec 25, 2020
Interesting. As a fellow bread enthusiast I would like to enlighten you on my thoughts.

Bread is a staple food prepared from a dough of flour and water, usually by baking. Throughout recorded history it has been popular around the world and is one of the oldest artificial foods, having been of importance since the dawn of agriculture .Bread may be leavened by naturally occurring microbes (e.g. sourdough), chemicals (e.g. baking soda), industrially produced yeast, or high-pressure aeration, which creates the gas bubbles that fluff up bread. In many countries, commercial bread often contains additives to improve flavor, texture, color, shelf life, nutrition, and ease of production.
Bread is one of the oldest prepared foods. Evidence from 30,000 years ago in Europe and Australia revealed starch residue on rocks used for pounding plants.[1][2] It is possible that during this time, starch extract from the roots of plants, such as cattails and ferns, was spread on a flat rock, placed over a fire and cooked into a primitive form of flatbread. The world's oldest evidence of bread-making has been found in a 14,500-year-old Natufian site in Jordan's northeastern desert.[3][4] Around 10,000 BC, with the dawn of the Neolithic age and the spread of agriculture, grains became the mainstay of making bread. Yeast spores are ubiquitous, including on the surface of cereal grains, so any dough left to rest leavens naturally.[5]

An early leavened bread was baked as early as 6000 BC by the Sumerians, who may have passed on their knowledge to the Egyptians around 3000 BC. The Egyptians refined the process and started adding yeast to the flour. The Sumerians were already using ash to supplement the dough as it was baked.[6]

There were multiple sources of leavening available for early bread. Airborne yeasts could be harnessed by leaving uncooked dough exposed to air for some time before cooking. Pliny the Elder reported that the Gauls and Iberians used the foam skimmed from beer, called barm, to produce "a lighter kind of bread than other peoples" such as barm cake. Parts of the ancient world that drank wine instead of beer used a paste composed of grape juice and flour that was allowed to begin fermenting, or wheat bran steeped in wine, as a source for yeast. The most common source of leavening was to retain a piece of dough from the previous day to use as a form of sourdough starter, as Pliny also reported.[7][8]

The ancient Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans all considered the degree of refinement in the bakery arts as a sign of civilization.[6]

The Chorleywood bread process was developed in 1961; it uses the intense mechanical working of dough to dramatically reduce the fermentation period and the time taken to produce a loaf. The process, whose high-energy mixing allows for the use of grain with a lower protein content, is now widely used around the world in large factories. As a result, bread can be produced very quickly and at low costs to the manufacturer and the consumer. However, there has been some criticism of the effect on nutritional value.[9][10][11]

Bottom one's a bacon sane and top one's a bun ya fuckin tossers. None of this barm shite or teacake shite. It's a fuckin bun. As someone that works in a chippy, you come into the shop sayin' anything like these:
Chip barm
Chip barmcake
Chip Bap
Chip Bun
Chip teacake
Chip batch
Chip bara
Chip muffin
Chip bread roll

and you're not getting served. It's a chip butty that's it.
Imagine just copy pasting the entire wikipedia article.

You've lost your hospitality privileges, you come round me gaff you get fed your own teeth sunshine.

It's a barm, Sane is a player for Bayern Munich, not something you put bacon in.

On a more serious note tho - if I go to a chippy I will usually just ask for a chip butty as it's the more commonly universally accepted nomenclature. If I go to a local chippy, or one within the rest of Lancashire, I'll ask for a chip barm.

I also agree with calling its bun, it's a shame you can not agree with the most sensible and ultimate name for it: the barm.

Yeke

Community Supervisor
Community Sup.
Group Moderator
Mar 20, 2022
Small: Bap
Medium: Barm
Large: Muffin
Extra Large: Bin Lid.

Alex

Senior Administrator
Senior Administrator
MilitaryRP Staff
Resources Team
Donator
Group Moderator
Jun 30, 2021
England
bacon butty everyone else is wrong

Valkon

Senior Game Master
Senior Game Master
Donator
Dec 25, 2020
bacon butty everyone else is wrong
Butty is just the standard though, everyone can agree it's a butty, but a butty encompasses many different things. You could put bacon in between two bits of bread and it'd still be a bacon butty, the question is what do you call the bread in the picture?